Friday, February 2, 2007

Rotary cutting wheel flat tire...




One of our gals in our quilt group went dumpster diving-not really, she was visiting an interior design shop when they were about to discard their sample books/swatches. It turned out to be a bonanza for us. Thanks to their generosity, we were able to get new free fabric to make tote bags, for about 12 people. You have to remove all the stickers and staples from the fabric, because, a rotary cutting wheel running over a staple, will cause, what I call a flat on the wheel. You know, an annoying nick that you notice when you think you've got this nice long strip cut, and you go to pull it away and you end up pulling your nicely matched up 8 layers of material away from their neat edge and you want to scream....at least, I do.

The rotary cutting wheel is the greatest tool for quilters and has done more to speed up the process of making a quilt than any other tool. If you are new to quilting, by all means, you must invest in one of these wheels, you will also need a special self healing mat and a clear plastic 6 inch wide by 24 inch long ruler.

3 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Oh no, you need the 8.5 x 24 ruler & the 8.5 square minimum...

my 6 incher hasn't seen the light of day in years.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Whatever works! I've had the 6 inch forever and it works fine for me. To tell you the truth, I did not want to scare anyone off, from an investment stand point, but, I really only use the Alto's Quilt Cut. It cost me, a few years ago, $150.00 at a quilt show, but it's the best for speed cutting diamonds, strips, etc. I also like my 12.5 inch square.

My diet tip: don't eat!...smile

His Office, My Studio said...

I have it all and love each item. I could never cut stright with scissors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails