Thursday, February 1, 2007

A quilter's work is never done...

I've listed my new Quilter's Queue-as if I needed any more reminders of the scads of projects I've only partially completed. I've seen thermometers and graphs and all kinds of things indicating the various stages of completion of quilts/projects, and I think I don't need any more pressure. So, I've listed not even half of what I intend to complete...soon...yes...soon, yes.

Some of the quilts in the queue really excite me to think about working on them. You know, like when you first got into quilting, and you had 3 new ideas in your head, before you were half finished with the first one you were working on. Oh well, how do I choose which to queue up next? Most completed-assuming easiest/quickest to finish? My daughter Chelsea's quilt-strike while the iron is hot and she's still motivated to work on it. I don' know, just like fabric in the store that yells my name to buy it, one of these quilts will be irresistible to me when I'm ready to queue the next one up.

Blogging is so addicting and takes so much time, if you want to add all the little extras that peak the interest of readers. We want to tweak them enough so that maybe you will leave a comment, which in the end, is what we all want-isn't it? I don't know, I like to think I'm making a permanent record/quilting journal to be around to maybe inspire or educate a future/active quilter. Then I read a blog about the fee you will sooner or later have to pay for these blogs. I wonder when that will kick in? I don't remember reading anywhere in Blogspot about a fee, but, I hope somehow I will be able to figure out how to move my blog to another service without paying a fee! I bet it's going to be like a credit card-you shift all the debt/blog to an new card, staying one jump ahead of the dreaded date the interest free use date is ending. Luckily I've never fallen into that financial abyss, but, it could happen in the blog world. If it does, we must all promise to keep each other apprised of the least fee to be paid or the new blog service, accepting fee free hosting...until next month...smile.

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I hadn't heard about fees... I'd be more likely to believe forced advertising - like on yahoo...

I do know that typepad is a for fee blogging service.

I did hear about a couple of bloggers (quiters who make money selling books & patterns) who have a subscription blog... boggles my mind.

I'd probably find a new outlet.

The Calico Cat said...

O.K. I am ready for the diet...

Any tips, tricks, etc.? You see I don't "think" I eat too much. I know I need to exercize, but I don wanna...

zuzu said...

=^..^=
I'm on typepad ... Yeppers, they charge.
I also don't see any hassles and the pictures
are free to load, you can have a little shoppe ... all you need is creativity to play with the offered free space typepad has.

Lots of benifits. The downfall is the $5-9-15 month you must pay. I the long run (for me) it
works very well and pays for itself.
I blow my bandwidth constantly and they have
never complained once.

I looked around before I started a blog and
went this route ... but you can get wordpress
which is part of typepad ... free. Of course you need a space to host it. And you need to mantain it (where typepad does it all for you.) But it's full of the same nifty perks!

Blogger (Blogspot) drives me nuts.
For one thing, I'm on an Mac and they aren't real friendly towards Apple. Second I don't like the picture problems and the time to load things to another server.

Blogger shows/reads differently in each program and doen't work at all in some. I don't like that at all. I want everyone to see what I see. That's my biggest peeve.
I have an account with blogger though ...
My opening page there basically reads:

I'm on typepad. GO there to find me!
(and I offer a hyperlink to get there)

I don't think moving your blog around would
work well anyway ... You wold lose readers as
they wouldn't be able to find you unless you
redirrect your blog to a dot com name. And there's a fee to have the dot com name. (not a lot, but if the point is to not pay for blogging ...)

Oh, I dunno. Maybe I misunderstood what you
were saying here? It's late. I'm really tired!

If it's about money ... you could always go over to the dark side and run ads on your blog. Look at DOOCE. She (and a lot of others) make a good living ... writing a daily blog.

You could do a quilting one!
(that said ... I must say ::poohy:: on advertizing please don't do that. I avoid those blogs as best I can.)

So glad you stopped by my blog to stumble into the heART event! ::LoTsA::LuCk:: Sign up on any of them you want! It's a great way to have new readers find you and you them!

=^..^= love, zUzU

Shelina said...

I haven't heard about blogger fees, but freeopendiary did have lots of advertisements. You can pay to get a blog without advertisements.
You're right though, it is a matter of finding the service that works for you. Memory is so cheap, that they really shouldn't make us pay for it anyway.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails