Wednesday, May 11, 2011

There's Almost Nothing You Can't Fix in Quilting!






I always like to tell people, in quilting, there is almost nothing you can't fix.  This is a quilt I have decided to give to my friend's daughter who is getting married.  This is a quilt I started in the 1990's.  I had the horses cut and adhered to freezer paper.  I had used a glue stick to make the edges turn under more crisply.  


With the popularity of Steam a Seam, you don't hear of freezer paper applique much these days.  Or, maybe it's a regional thing and in your area there are a lot of quilters choosing that technique for their applique projects.  Compared to Steam a Seam paper backed fusible applique, it gives a softer look to the applique.  


When I removed the glue stuck freezer paper from behind the batik applique pieces on the purple horse on the right (looking at the quilt)I tore part of the horse.  Over the tear you will see a butterfly.  The butterfly is fused on with Steam a Seam.  Steam a Seam has a definite advantage here.  Batik material is very tightly woven and therefore it tears easily.  Fusing the butterfly as opposed to appliqueing on top helps to bind the fibers so they will have less chance of tearing in the future.  


There you have it, nothing you can't fix.  This is the quilt I had intended to give to Mom's Closet for a fund raiser but just couldn't get it done. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails