Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Entering a quilt in a quilt show-SHOW OFF!!

The quilt show entering season is upon us. Far be it from me to create more competition, but, far be it from me to think I might win a quilt show. So competition is not what I seek, but it is my highest and most sappy wish to inspire and create something that-to use an old expression-yes I'm dating myself-might "turn someone on" to quilting. No, I don't own a shop or am selling my quilts, I hope someday my family, 100 years from now, will all want one of the quilts their great great whatever made with her own hands and sewing machine. I hope it never gets that rare for a quilt to be made, but, if it happens, my decendents will have one. If you put a good enough label on it-write as much as you can on the label with an archival felt pen-it will be remembered and appreciated. My pet- peeve is to go into an anique store and find a beautifully made quilt, that's maybe from the 1930's or '50's, and no one knows a thing about it. How sad that a woman worked with love and self discipline and no one knows that she made it as a wedding gift or as a bed quilt for the first house she owned. Ah, such is saddness...a quilt without history is like a family bible with no family tree in it...or forgetting the reason you saved a special ornament to be hung every year on your Christmas tree. If you are a lover of history and want to create a quilting legacy, then pull up all your quilts today and put a label on the back. Just get a 10 inch square of muslin and iron under a 1/2 inch edge all around. Then carefully plan what you want to write before you write and tell all you know; fabric content-100% cotton, batik, etc; machine or hand pieced/stitched; name; town you lived in while making the piece; date; who/why the quilt was made; ANYTHING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU OR THE RECEIVER OF THE PIECE! Then be happy for YOU are making history...smile...

2 comments:

kathy said...

Gasp! That quilt is a stunner...a winner in a show or not. Great color and movement...I am off to put labels on all my quilts. show us more. k (material obsession)

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Movement is the key to making a quilt come alive. Keeping the eye moving around the quilt is what is pleasing to me too. Thanks for the nice words.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails