Friday, November 21, 2008

Work on Quilt and Volunteering for Public Radio

I've been doing more hand sewing on my Tillie's Mosaic and it's pretty slow looking progress, so I won't take any pictures until I have a noticeable amount of progress.

I got to volunteer for my favorite place to support, besides church/quilting, Wfpk public radio.  Every Friday the program is an all request 3 hours from 9:00 to 12:00.  During that time, people are calling and requesting songs-anything from Neil Young to Billie Holiday.  It's how I first got really excited about the station.  I like variety in music.  I have my old stand-byes, although maybe I don't have any stand-byes, I like everything from Americana to rock and the blues.  

Here's the morning guy, James Bickers and Duke Myers, the mid morninguy.  Marion Dries is the clean up batter, I suppose with the "Rattle the Junk in Your Trunk" show that's a nice pick me up after lunch, called After Lunch.  

Today, I hung around for Live Lunch which showcased the Good Folk Fest with 4 bands.  Being a donator to the public radio stations in town, Wfpk; Wfpl, and Wuol, I get free lunches anytime I call ahead and reserve one.  Here's my lunch, a vegi club with cookie and chips-FOR FREE-well, sort of.  


The Good Folk Fest will highlight Daniel Johnston, who will sell his art and perform at the Mellwood Art Center on Saturday.  This man is a cliche when it comes to tortured genius artist.  He wrote some very beautiful songs, my personal favorite of his is "The Story of an Artist".  He was also on the first year of MTV, so he's been around for a while.  There is a really great biography about him called "the Devil and Daniel Johnston".  

All in all, it was a good day for supporting causes I enjoy without spending much money, and isn't that America's song for the age right now.  

2 comments:

Libby said...

That sounds like a fun place to volunteer . . . so much entertainment on hand would make it not like work at all *s*

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great day! My Dh and I always argue over Public Radio. I love it (even the Clemson Entomologists that have a show on bugs!) I may look into our local public station and see if they use volunteers...thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails