Friday, March 9, 2007

There is only quilting...




Quilter's Day Out and New York aside, there is only quilting. I'm moving on from a scrap quilt project, using the Diamond in the Rough pattern, that I'm kicking myself for not buying enough scraps!!! I hate when it happens with a "planned" quilt. Pattern in hand and exact amounts of fabric bought only to be cut wrong and back to the store I go. I guess, in reality, my scrap quilt is a planned scrap quilt...somehow that seems wrong...hmmm..


This is something I tell everyone that is learning to sew/quilt. Mistakes will be made, but there is almost nothing you cannot fix in a quilt. Cutting short is where you get into trouble, which is what I did on my "scrap" quilt. The problem is my scraps are from one collection of Moda fabric called
Folkloric that is soon to be in more stores, but, most are waiting for it... so, I'm on hold until a shop gets the fabric-I've already paid for my order and will hopefully get it soon.




I am working on-again, off-again, on an hourglass nine patch quilt. I'm getting use the yummy pinks and browns I've been dying to make a quilt from. This one also started out as a mom and daughter project, with my daughter Chelsea, but, alas, the gratification did not last...so sad. But, lessons learned and I love love this pattern and material, so off I go...smile.


It's from a book,

Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts and it's the pattern on the back cover. I'm more of a piecing person, but, I do like the combination applique border. The quilt has that light Japanese airy style, in my opinion, and I'm excited to work on it for a while. That's what is best about UFO's, there's always another one to suit your fancy.

7 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

That's a fabulous-looking block!

The Calico Cat said...

Nice blocks! That is why I go for non-planned scrappy quilts. My last quilt that had 1 background (the rest was completely scrappy) by the end of the top I only had one 2.5 inch strip WOF....
(I have that book too...)

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

It's a great book and under $5.00 on amazon.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

It's also a fun block to make-lots of chain sewing.

Primitive Seasons said...

Where did your pattern for Diamond in the Rough come from? It's just exquisite!

Mary

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

http://www.debbiescreativemoments.com/catalog/product

This is where you can find the pattern. This pattern is color coded and pretty easy to read. You need to iron/press exactly the way she instructs you and it all lays pretty flat

Helen in the UK said...

I have that book and have admired that pattern many times. Glad you hear you are enjoying working on it again. Great colour choices :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails