Sunday, March 11, 2007

Another UFO...smile...



Oh they stack up and we do our best to knock them down. I'm so happy to be working on this pink and brown nine patch/hour glass block quilt. It's hard to see the hourglass block, without a close up, so here it is.

I was once again inspired to work on this quilt after seeing a quilt from the turn of the century at the Wylie House Museum in Bloomington.

This is a quilt my DD and I started and it looks like I am to complete. This is fine with me, but, I just can't understand their lack of interest in quilting. Oh yes, granted they have their lives to begin, college, boys and most especially, college-don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, they are on track with their lives and their dad and I are most proud. But, isn't there any down time-you know, for therapy and creativity? I worry they are working so hard-or maybe they just want us to think that-and all the time they are sailing along and having lots of fun-Oh I hope so!!! Pink and brown, the color of romance you know-so maybe I really don't want my DD to work on this after all-she may get the wrong idea and begin to day dream about boys--hold off until you graduate honey!!

Of course all my exclamation point screaming does little good and I guess that's what growing up means-making your own choices-not moms or dads. I shall continue to appreciate the art and craftsmanship of quilt making and carry on....yes....yes...carry on...my lovely DDs.

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

PRETTY! Brown is one of my new favorite colors! I love it with pink and with turquoise...

MéLisa said...

Ouhhh! I love the pink & brown combo! I wouldn’t be too sad about your daughters not being into quilting right now. I sewed a lot when I was at home them went through several years (from about 19-24) when I didn’t do much at all. Then I slowing got back into it in my mid 20’s & sew all the time now. My mom & I sew a lot together when she comes to visit. It’s wonderful! I don’t quilt & she does but we can appreciate each others work. We love fabric shopping together & talking about all kinds of sewing projects. So there might still be quilting in their futures. Don’t give up yet!

Shelina said...

These are both such pretty quilts. Good luck to you on completing them.

I think that your daughters will get more into quilting when they get older. Sometimes already having a quilter in the family makes them think the role is already accounted for.

Deb Hardman said...

I love the old fashioned pinks with browns. The 1800 repros are my favorite. Much more so than the 1930s stuff.

I didn't do much creative when I was in college. All my energy went to study (as it should). I remember wanting just to read a fictional story for fun, which is what I did the first week after graduation.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh, these two quilts get me where I live. Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving a comment. Before I got so involved with art quilts, these types of traditional quilts were my favorites to work on. Not that I've given up totally on my traditional roots. As I noted on my blog, I had a great deal of fun digging through my repro stash to work on crows feet blocks on National Quilting Day. Thanks for the visual treat.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails