Thursday, March 29, 2007

My next big project...


My next big project will be making my oldest daughter's wedding dress. It really doesn't pay to sew as much as it used to. You can't compete with third world country labor costs, those being so much less than our own time. But, I think there are still a few areas where you can save money and making a bridal dress may be one. I say may be, because we'll see if she likes the finished product. You know, all this work could be for not, but, here goes, my journey of making a wedding gown...I hope she likes it....yikes!

4 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I've made that dress! The bridesmaid version anyway...I had to spread sheets on the floor to protect the pale pink fabric. It reminded me of sewing backs for my quilts! Lots and lots of yardage! I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Unknown said...

The prices of store-bought wedding dresses are crazy! If you make your daughter's dress, you'll not only save money but probably make a better dress, and custom-fitted too, than you'd ever be able to buy. Good luck! It WILL be a journey.

Anonymous said...

I have made several wedding gowns and by far they are less expensive and better made than those in the bridal shops. What a wonderful heirloom to have to pass on - a handmade wedding gown.

Mandy said...

The pattern looks gorgeous. What colours and fabrics are you planning to use?
Your daughter is one lucky young lady - a very special wedding dress!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails