Tuesday, February 6, 2007

work on tote bag





While it snowed outside, our group was toasty warm inside the church, busily making a new crazy quilt tote bag. Normally you would start with a 5 sided piece for the center of a crazy quilt square, sewing and flipping as you go.

This new method takes 12 inch squares and cuts them up, shuffles them, then uses stickers to keep track of your place in the sewing process. I don't make or sell the patterns, but, if you are looking for something new in the crazy quilt style, this might interest you.


First you stack the 12 inch squares and cut them, using freezer paper patterns.

Next you use stickers to keep track of the pieces and sew the whole thing using the chain method of sewing.

You next take those units and sew them together to make 9.5 inch squares and sew them together-6 squares, front, 6 squares back.

That's silk and the dreaded polyester, donated by a local interior design studio that no longer needed their samples. I normally don't touch the stuff, but, for a crazy quilt-anything goes.

That's as far as I got in our class, tomorrow I'll try to finish my tote bag...

2 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

I wanted to try this method but was not sure how to do it. Thanks for the steps.

Lilli in Vancouver said...

What a beautiful sight: a project underway :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails