Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's the first day of spring...smile...

Quilting is all consuming, but it is only accomplished...well mostly...inside the house.
Here's what I worked on yesterday. I'm sewing my strips to make my 9 patch blocks. I usually try to do things in a fast way and strip piecing is one of the fastest ways to make a quilt block-especially a 9 patch. These strips are all 1.5 inches and so I sew on until I make enough to get a variety for my scrap quilt.

Quilting Tip: you want to hold off sewing your scrap quilt blocks together, so that you don't have large sections of a quilt looking exactly alike and others totally different. In other words, wait and lay out the blocks to spread the scrappy variety look all around.

Anyway, here are my hour glass blocks in progress-again fast method for making these use a 4.5 inch square and sew diagonally. Cut these in half and flip and sew together to make the hour glass.

For more information check out the Scrap Quilt book in an earlier post. This quilt is a great one to use up stash fabric. I went to my closet and pulled a 7 yard piece of fabric and began designing around that.


IT'S THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING!!!! smile....

Even the faeries are impatient. I'm so ready. These gray days in the Ohio Valley get a little old-not to mention the cold. Today, I think I'll begin my spring cleaning and I will begin in the garage-getting ready to work in the yard, it's still a little soggy out there and we need at least a couple of dry days before I can work in the yard.

Last autumn,I thinned out my iris' and it appears they are doing well and I can't wait to see what I've moved. I don't have a garden journal, so it'll be a surprise...whooppeee!!

I've been doing really well on my treadmill and am up to 2.6 miles every other day, but, when I work in the yard I think I can substitute that for my treadmill workout. You can see by my pics that our yard is rather steep and lends itself to some pretty pictures, but, it's also pretty hard to mow and maintain. We have about 1.25 acres and really only work in the 1 acre and that's enough. It'll kill a whole day on the weekend. My DH won't pay anyone to do anything if he can do it himself, so we are both out there mowing and raking. I'm not complaining, in the end that's probably good, because we've saved a lot of money that way. Although, things don't get done right away. Which makes me a little crazy sometimes, but, life is short and there are other things to worry about, such as what fabric goes into what quilt...smile...The crocus' are up and the daffodils are trying.

I am so blessed!

3 comments:

SuBee said...

How fun! I love finding a blog I haven't seen before, and yours is a terrific read! I love your pictures, your yard is beautiful. The little gnome people are perfect. Pleased to meet you!

Elaine Adair said...

Hey - thanks for your visit to my Blog, and now I've found YOU! Great blog but I only had time for a quick tour. LOVE all the gals at QDO - they look just like the gals at OUR Guild!

Oh good, another Blog to add to my Bloglines. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am not a great quilter but I do a little here and there. Actually it has been a number of years since I have made a quilt. Love your work! Beautiful quilts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails