Sunday, February 25, 2007

Label Making Tip



I like to use old handkerchiefs or doilies for my labels. They are so pretty and usually just the right size for putting all the information I like to include.

Your quilting legacy must begin with making history.

That means, put a label on your quilt. I can't tell you the times I've been to a flea market and found a beautiful quilt in a booth and know one knows anything about it. The quilt might be a wedding quilt, or one that someone made for their son or daughter to take to college. This type of information is so valuable to future generations. Enough about my soap box stand on labels, here's an idea for making one.


Chelsea finished sewing the blocks for her Quarter Fat Quarter quilt. It is called that, simply because you take your fat quarters of fabric and fold them into fourths. Next you iron them folded and use your cutting wheel to cut off the scant edges of the quarter folds and there your have 4 blocks cut and ready to sew. This is my own block design, feel free to use it. It is the best pattern to use for a new quilter because it's instant gratification-big results quickly. Of course I machine quilted it and used a lite polyester batting and 100% cotton thread.

On the back in the right corner is where I like to apply my labels,using a whip stitch to attach the hanky. I found this delicate hanky and ironed it. I would have used starch if I had any, it would have helped hold it taught while writing.
Using an archival quality pen, an 08 size is easier to read, like the scrap book people use, hold the material taught while you write. You could use a fusible interfacing on the back, but, I didn't want that wow brightness of yellow with the added white on the back, so I left it bare hanky.

Name your quilt-you created it, give it a name. Quilts do become like our children and that causes problems-you don't want to give it away or you have spent a lot of money raising it...smile. After naming your quilt, put all information you think might be valu
able to future generations: for whom was the quilt made and why was it made for them? was it a wedding quilt?

Where was it made? Album quilts were more valuable if they were made in Baltimore. If the area you quilt in becomes popular for a particular style of quilt making, someday, that may add to the value of your quilt.

What is the fabric made of? 100% cotton, silk? This will be a valuable asset when it comes to cleaning the quilt. You probably don't want to wash a silk quilt. If you have any buttons or beads on the quilt you might want to explain where they came from. Quilter's were the first recyclers. They used up material from dresses and shirts more often than buying new material, in the old days, unless it came in the form of feed sack material. If you are using a treasured dress from childhood, include that information on the label.

Of course date the quilt and put the maker's name on it.

This is just one quilter's suggestion for labeling a quilt for your legacy.


10 comments:

Angie said...

I really like that quilt -- What a wonderful way to use fat quarters!!! Thanks sooo much for sharing that!

Angie said...

Ooops, meant to thank you for the idea of using hankies for the label---that's a great idea too!! :D

Joyce said...

What a great idea using hankies for the labels. I have some old ones and had no idea what to do with them. No I will start collecting them on my weekly thrift shop rounds.

Quilting Kim said...

Wow - that is a wonderful quilt and the hankie idea for labels is a great idea. Now, I wish that I had some of my grandma's hankies - she always carried one.

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely LOVE the idea of hankies for labels! Thanks so much for sharing that.

Unknown said...

Now that is a neat idea! I'm not a quilter, but have many from my husband's great-great grandmother and no nothing about them.

Lilli in Vancouver said...

I love this label idea :)

Alison said...

Love the hankies idea. Will pass it on in class. Thank you for sharing this great idea.

Angelina said...

I have only made three quilts, crib quilts for friends' babies. Now I wish I had made a label. I am itching to make a full sized quilt for myself. I will keep this in mind!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I can't believe I never thought of using a vintage hanky, great idea! Thanks. I, like you, am a champion for quilt labels; it's so important.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails